Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Heavy Metal Video Interlude, Part 2: "I Am The Master of The Enchanted Tune"

Candlemass "Bewitched" (1987)



Let me guide you through: The first minute and a half of this video is kind of Sergio Leone-esque for a rock video. So far, so good. At 1:30 lead singer Messiah Marcolin clambers out of the coffin, and the video really takes off. For the next few minutes, there are shots of him dancing and lip syncing that linger just a few seconds too long for comfort, but it is mesmerizing. And there are shots of live performances in which Marcolin does this wild stomping dance that I can only describe as a cross between MC5's Rob Tyner and one of the monsters from War of the Gargantuas (my favorite of all the Toho Company monster movies). But nothing quite prepares you for the moment at 5:50 when you are treated to something reminiscent of Michael Jackson's "Thriller" video, but in a charmingly low-budget Swedish metal kind of way. Favorite video moment(s): All of the above.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I surprised myself and watched all 7+ minutes. Their cinematic efforts are sort of heartwarming. Thanks for sharing!