Wednesday, March 17, 2010

"Who's Then Given a Gun and Pushed To the Fore"



He's Scottish, but I'm posting stuff here by Dick Gaughan for St. Patrick's Day because his songs "Song for Ireland" and "Erin Go Bragh" off Handful of Earth are so epic and beautiful. The whole album belongs in your record collection immediately. Unfortunately, I couldn't find suitable clips of those off th' youtube. Here's his amazing "Workers' Song" which I was privileged to see him play live once. Still gives me goosebumps to hear him sing: "We're expected to die for the land of our birth/When we've never owned one handful of earth."

------
NOTE: When I say "his" song, keep in mind it was written by another (Ed Pickford). But Dick really made it his own, as all great folksters can do. He did the same with Leon Rosselson's "The World Turned Upside Down" (which will always beat Billy Bragg's version, IMHO).

No comments: