Friday, July 27, 2012

What Century Is This?

"I love the pure, peaceable, and impartial Christianity of Christ: I therefore hate the corrupt, slaveholding, women-whipping, cradle-plundering, partial and hypocritical Christianity of the land. Indeed, I can see no reason, but the most deceitful one, for calling the religion of this land Christianity. I look upon it as the climax of all misnomers, the boldest of all frauds, and the grossest of all libels. Never was there a clearer case of 'stealing the livery of the court of heaven to serve the devil in.' I am filled with unutterable loathing when I contemplate the religious pomp and show, together with the horrible inconsistencies, which every where surround me."
- Frederick Douglass, Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass

When watching the video below, I thought of the above passage from the Narrative, which I recently read. I also thought of this passage from the same text:

For of all slaveholders with whom I have ever met, religious slaveholders are the worst. I have ever found them the meanest and basest, the most cruel and cowardly, of all others. It was my unhappy lot not only to belong to a religious slaveholder, but to live in a community of such religionists.

It is not because I think, and nor did Douglass, that Christianity is inherently racist or evil. It is that when people believe that God is on their side, giving special dispensation and even blessing to their inhumane behaviors, then their sense of remorse, empathy, restraint is destroyed. They are morally disfigured but believe themselves to be beautiful, heavenly.

The fact that what follows is occurring today makes my blood boil. Two black attendees, a man and a woman, at a majority-white Baptist Church were forced to get married at another church by bigots in the congregation. The white pastor was threatened with being fired if he defied the racist ultimatum. See if this "Christianity" isn't what Douglass called "the boldest of all frauds":





No comments: