Sunday, September 2, 2012

Happy Labor Day to 52% of Americans!

Labor Day is a given in our culture. I imagine that conservative, liberal, righty, and lefty alike don't want it taken away. It is a secular national holiday that everyone can celebrate regardless of viewpoint or creed. Even Phyllis Schlafly celebrates Labor Day because somehow it reminds her of Ronald Reagan's greatness.

Enter cognitive dissonance. We love Labor Day, but according to an August 31, 2012 Gallup poll, 48% of us disapprove of labor unions. Of course, it is only through the advocacy and agitation of labor unions that Labor Day exists as a federal holiday.

Take a look at this monumentally amnesiac "Labor Day Statement" from Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus in 2011:
On Labor Day, we take time to celebrate centuries of American hard work and ingenuity. Since our country's earliest days, the American people have been innovators and entrepreneurs, building the most powerful economy in the history of the world. [more]
I had no idea that Labor Day was founded in order to honor "innovators and entrepreneurs." Oh, wait, that's of course because it wasn't. But every political hack who detests organized labor itself will still exploit Labor Day to pander to desperately struggling American workers. That is, if any of them pay any attention to what Priebus blathers on about.

So I say Happy Labor Day to the 52 percent of Americans who honor labor unions! To the other 48 percent, get back to work.

No comments: