Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Paul Kurtz: An Appreciation ***Redux***

Some time ago, I wrote this appreciation of Paul Kurtz on this here blog. Kurtz was still alive then. Sadly, he died this last weekend, on October 20. I came to discover him late in (his) life, once I realized that the great Prometheus Books publishing house was his brainchild, and that he was one of the founders of CSICOP and the Skeptical Inquirer, to which I subscribe. Below is a clip of Kurtz reading from his book Affirmations, a self-edited gleaning of aphorisms and short pieces of humanist and neo-skeptical wisdom for the non-religious. I would only add imagination to his list of human virtues and potential. Science, skepticism, exuberance, and reason, yes! But also imagination, dreams, and the numinous. Sometimes I succumb to the transcendental temptation...

RIP Paul Kurtz (1925 - 2012).

No comments: