Tuesday, August 6, 2013

It Was a Happier Time? Village People Performing "Ready for the Eighties" at the Playboy Mansion (1979)



Another artifact of the strangely optimistic (coked up?) sound and allure of disco culture. Hugh Hefner was, I guess, open-minded. But do we have to see him dance on national television? Yes, if we are compelled, as I am, to indulge in the nostalgic voyeurism of this "happy" T.V. moment. There's Dorothy Stratten, the Playboy bunny who was later murdered, and her co-host--the kissing bandit himself--Richard "Survey Says" Dawson, unashamedly drunk as a skunk. Yes, they're all gettin' down and lookin' forward to the 80s, which the Village People told us were "just gonna be great!"

If you can't stand to watch the first four minutes of disco-dancing and puppet-humor in this clip, then see the Village People perform the song "Ready for the Eighties" at the 4:40 mark. Incidentally, in one of my rock 'n' roll endeavors of the nineties, I had my band record an overly distorted but still disco-ish version of this song. The recording isn't so great 16 years later, I have to say, except at the end in a noise-guitar send-up when I yell "Managua!" Because, well, that was the eighties. I think it is about time to revisit this song yet again.

No comments: